Friday 14 January 2011

Tweetie birds, a birdwatch and more knitting

Another week over, where does the time go? I am a bit naughty to say that really as I don't work Fridays!! :O I work longer hours earlier in the week to compensate but I do love the long weekends.

Today was an eventful one for different reasons. The tickets to see Yusuf Islam (was Cat Stevens) arrived. I am very excited about going to see him later in the year. I have been a fan since I was a kid and although he is not touring in the UK he is in Europe so it means a trip abroad in June, oh shucks, well I guess one must ;) There may be another trip on the cards for the summer which is mega exciting. I am looking forward to lots of things this year :)

I had some dental work done earlier today so I came straight home and slept off the anaesthetic and watched the birds in the garden from the 'bird cinema' :) I tried a bit of knitting but only managed about four rows. That was when I realised it was time to sleep it off. Feeling loads better now though :)

So what did the bird cinema have on today? We had:

"Batman & Robin" (didn't see much of Batman though...)
"Into the Blue" Tit
"The Great (Tit) Escape"
"The Long (Tailed Tit) Kiss Goodnight"
Atticus (Chaf)Finch in "To Kill a Mocking Bird"
"The Wings of the (Collared) Dove"
"Star(ling) Wars"
Jack Sparrow in "Pirates of the Carribbean"
"Bye Bye Blackbird"

I have some shots of these for you. Please excuse the fairly dodgy camera work... that'll be me!! The lighting isn't great around here at the moment and I was taking them through a window... I'm pretty sure that would be one of the first Do Nots of photography... But here goes:

starling2
starling
robins
long_tailed_tits
chaffinch
blue_tit_sparrow
blue_tit

In the UK, the RSPB (Royal Society for the Protection of Birds) is running the Big Garden Birdwatch on the weekend of 29th and 30th of January. You only need to do an hour over the entire weekend but if you register beforehand they'll send you a pack and you get 10% off bird food from them. No prizes for guessing that I'm already signed up and very excited about the prospect :) I'm already planning the cups of tea and cake situation for the event :) My other half is into the birds as well so we'll be booking our seats in the bird cinema for that weekend. Excellent!

If you want to see a funny bird video clip, check this out and click watch video :) Also, have any of you seen a tv series called 'Walk on the Wildside'? They personify animals (something I'm eternally guilty for) and it does make me laugh. I love this bird one. :D

I promised a knitting update and I apologise again for the lack of photos but they will be coming soon, I promise. I had a few hours to kill in the week so I took myself off to a local cafe with money for a coffee in one hand and my knitting in the other :) The guy who owns the cafe came over and said in the 20 years he's owned cafes no-one has ever knitted in one! I said I found that hard to believe but he said it was true. The cafe was moderately busy and within next to no time everyone was talking about knitting, how they learnt, whether their mothers had knitted... and so on... I couldn't believe my knitting presence would ever have had that effect. I felt a bit bad because I had my ipod and just wanted to get on with some knitting but people just wanted to keep talking about what I was doing or what they had made etc. I did talk to people as I am a friendly type but I couldn't help feeling when I left that I wasn't sure if I'd go back as it wasn't quite what I was after. Does that sound awful?

I have a busy but exciting weekend ahead of visitors and lovely food to cook. I've also done an online food delivery for tomorrow so that I don't have to mission it around the shops inbetween seeing different people. I am strangely excited about its arrival :) Hope you all have a lovely weekend.

Until next time,

Toodlepip!

4 comments:

  1. Maybe you should start a knitting group in that cafe , lots of like minded people all under one roof and with food .. sounds perfect to me ?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for sharing wonderful pictures of your bird friends!

    ReplyDelete
  3. LOL! You did make me laugh about your knitting in a cafe experience.. I tried it once and had exactly the same, and I just wanted a bit of peace and quiet!!! My little boy and his dad did the RSPB birdwatch on Sunday.. James was so excited.. got his flask of hot chocolate, camoflage blanket, notebook and pen and set off to grandad's garden with his dad, as our garden has too many cats!! x

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your birdlife is amazing! Have a great trip to see Cat Stevens - I love his music.

    ReplyDelete